Job Title: Night Porter
Reporting to: Rooms Division Manager
To ensure that all of guests are secure and well looked after during their time at the hotel.
To prepare public areas and food and beverage areas for the following day.
• To ensure that the hotel backup tapes are rotated, stored and kept in good repair.
• To complete regular security checks around the hotel and grounds and recording these correctly – highlighting or rectifying any issues.
• To ensure that all restaurant, bar and lounge and public areas within the hotel are prepared and set for the following day’s business, to the correct company standards at all times.
• To ensure that all cleaning duties are completed to a high standard – this includes checking the toilets and smoking areas at regular intervals, cleaning public areas and any other reasonable request.
• To prepare and deliver any room service orders due between the hours of 11pm and 7am.
• To deliver any messages, luggage or newspapers to guest bedrooms on request, in an appropriate time.
• To ensure that any requests made by guests are followed through.
• To carry out any other reasonable duties as deemed appropriate by a supervisor.
• To play an active role in the fire team, following direction from the Fire Controller.
• To acknowledge all guests within 5 seconds, either through speech or with positive facial expressions such as a smile.
• To answer all queries from guests or where applicable, direct them to the appropriate member of staff or department.
• To deal with all customer and guest comments or complaints and to pass on any relevant information to your Supervisor.
• To be polite & courteous to all guests and visitors to the hotel at all times.
• To attend and actively contribute towards monthly departmental reception and Fire Safety meetings.
• To ensure all relevant information about guests is passed on to the appropriate department in a timely manner.
• To ensure that a complete handover is received and given at the beginning and end of every shift.
• To upsell whenever appropriate through night service and room service.
• To encourage guests to return or offer information about hotel products.
• Training & Development To actively contribute towards your Personal Performance Review
• To attend any training sessions as advised by your HOD or HR Manager
Health & Safety
• To maintain hygiene standards at all times whilst cleaning any areas in your department.
• To adhere to any cleaning rotas and to sign them off when completed.
• To attend all legally required training courses.
• To advise your Health & Safety representative of any concerns.
• Security Ensuring that all security walks are completed at the allocated times and recorded correctly.
• All fire doors are shut and accessible at all times.
• Any breech of H&S or security is dealt with or passed on to the General Manager the relevant day staff/manager
• To be accountable for any signed for at the start of each shift.
• To maintain personal hygiene standards at all times.
• To wear the correct uniform, in good condition whilst on duty and in the hotel and to take responsibility for the uniform whilst off-duty.
Policies & Procedures
• Awareness of and adherence to all The George In Rye policies and procedures such as:
– House rules and code of conduct.
– Absence, Disciplinary & Grievance, Performance Management.
• To ensure that all breaks are taken in the appropriate areas provided, i.e. staff canteen or staff smoking shelter
• Manage your work load effectively and utilise your time wisely and proactively.